Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The unabridged story of how my trip to Paris came about

Back in December, Peter, the President at The Tech, was kind enough to send my resume (Cirriculum Vitae en Francais) to a few of his acquaintances in Europe, to see if anyone might be interested in hiring me. His friend at the International Council of Museums in Paris was interested in hiring me for a communications intern to help with the quarterly newsletter for the organization but the position would be unpaid so I had to look for other employment to sustain myself while I would be abroad. Peter then introduced me to the Lucie, marketing director of the San Jose Jazz (they shared our office building). Lucie grew up in Paris and got me in touch with her friends, The Fromonts, to be a part time nanny/English teacher for their children. There is an extra apartment available in their complex, owned by their family, that they will let me use in exchange for my part-time work. Everything was coming together nicely, I had an internship, a place to stay and the opportunity to live in France!

Then I found out that ICOM hired a new General Director, who wanted to cut down on the number of interns hired, so as to refocus the group. Lysa was unable to get my internship approved. I decided I would still go to Paris, because my arangement with the Fromonts is a wonderful opportunity, and it leaves my days open to babysit for other families or just explore Paris! So, I readjusted the amount of time will stay in Paris to accommodate the strict Visa regulations and bought my ticket!

With one week to go, I have been studying my French grammar, getting affairs (such as insurance etc) in order for my travels, and packing (which will begin anytime now).

This morning, I received an email from Lysa that my internship has been approved, and she would like to meet with me as soon as I get settled into Paris. So, the world is right again! I will meet with Lysa, hopefully WOW her with my marketing expertise, and get really great experience with an international museum organization. I'm so intrigued...and excited because this will also be a fun way to meet people while I am abroad.

Ok, that's the post for today. Now I'm off to run a few errands and then I will take out my luggage and begin the packing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment